From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 18:07:44
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 04:30:01PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 >
6 >>> The council has voted in favour of a separate /usr being supported
7 >>> (5 yes, 1 no vote).
8 >>
9 >> What?
10 >
11 > Perhaps the council should be the ones to clarify, but I think the
12 > vote only was for separate /usr being supported. The irc log seemed a
13 > bit more nuanced than perhaps came out in the summary. Maybe I'm
14 > misreading it. I didn't see anything in the log about a decision that
15 > newer versions of udev are not able to be stabled.
16 >
17 > So, as to what "a separate /usr being supported" means, the impression
18 > I got was "don't worry if you're running it, you'll have an upgrade
19 > path." Right now it sounds like the proposed upgrade path is that
20 > some devs will fork udev and keep it running more like the current one
21 > (presumably breaking in the same situations that it already does
22 > today).
23 >
24 Well I definitely read it as "supported without an initramfs":
25
26 <Betelgeuse> Chainsaw: So to clarify a universal initramfs is not enough?
27 <Chainsaw> Betelgeuse: No.
28
29 Otherwise there is no contention, nor need to consider patches.
30
31 >> And udev isn't even the problem, all you need is to mount your /usr from
32 >> initramfs. So, the original proposal wasn't even a correct/valid
33 >> proposal in the first place.
34 >
35 If udev simply requires partitions mounted before it is started, that allows
36 those of us who don't need udev to get partitions mounted (still not sure
37 how that works if you do) to continue with initscript-based approaches (eg
38 those mentioned at end.)
39
40 > Well, as far as I can tell the proposal that was voted on didn't even
41 > mention udev at all, or initramfs. But, as you point out using an
42 > initramfs is likely to be more reliable.
43 >
44 As above, the discussion prior certainly mentioned initramfs, and being able
45 not to use one seems to be a requirement, or there'd be no need to talk
46 about "forking" udev to maintain the old behaviour (which I believe is the
47 ability to retry failed scripts in udev-postmount, which ideally requires
48 udev to distinguish between failures due to file not found, and true
49 failures.)
50
51 > I'm sure the same arguments were going around back when people were
52 > advocating for dropping bootloader support in the kernel and telling
53 > people to bugger_off_msg. An initramfs creates more flexibility, at
54 > the cost of an extra layer of software, just like grub. The main
55 > downside to it is that it tends to require more maintenance, though if
56 > you build the necessary drivers to mount /usr into the kernel I
57 > imagine that an initramfs would probably work across differing kernel
58 > versions.
59 >
60 One thing that has bothered me with the mooting of an initramfs as the new
61 rescue system that rootfs has traditionally been, is at the we are told at
62 the same time that the initramfs can be very minimal. If so, how does it
63 provide the same capabilities as rootfs (for those of us who can localmount
64 without udev-configured devices)?
65
66 > In any case, we should still be updating documentation/etc regardless.
67 > A better guide to dracut/genkernel would be useful no matter how this
68 > turns out. I'd like to see stable Gentoo stay current with udev in
69 > any case, but I don't mind using a forked version as long as it is of
70 > similar quality to the original. As you've pointed out already, that
71 > may not actually help people with a separate /usr, so I'd encourage
72 > people to get an initramfs working.
73 >
74 There are two alternatives currently on the forums which don't require an
75 initramfs, nor patches to udev. earlymounts[1] is an initscript which runs
76 before udev in sysinit, which appears to be having teething troubles eg with
77 fsck, and I have posted an approach[2] which allows udev to start after
78 localmount, ie in the manner it used to, which has no problems with fsck,
79 but is trickier to setup.
80
81 Of course, neither of these can be used if you have root on lvm or encrypted
82 partitions, ie the cases which traditionally required an initrd, or if you
83 have need of udev-configured devices to get through localmount.
84
85 [1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-918466.html
86 [2] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-901206.html
87 --
88 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)