From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developers beware.
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:46:50
1 Lisa Seelye wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 18:33, Spider wrote:
4 >
5 >> Imagine the reprecautions for projects like
6 >>Samba, Gnome, KDE, and other technologies that can be seen as
7 >>"infringing" on some of MS turf. Its an easy, blunt lega weapon to weild
8 >>against whole projects, stating that all progress past this point is
9 >>only because you copied MS sources, weilding a large batch of patents,
10 >>tradesecrets and copyright infringement claims and slamming large and
11 >>wide.
14 > Let the conspiracy theories fly!
15 >
16 This was really inappropriate lisa, there is nothing funny nor
17 delusional about the situation. MS will seriously defend their trade
18 secrets and take whatever action necessary to protect the code. Since
19 projects like Samba, Gnome, KDE, etc have many overlapping components
20 with Windows it could be devestating to those projects AND the GPL if
21 they are found to have copied code from MS. We may not have many
22 windows-like components but we do maintain ties with KDE, etc.
23
24 Spider is absolutely right, if you value the GPL and Gentoo you won't
25 even think about the MS code, just forget about it and go on with your work.
26
27 Joshua Brindle
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list