From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developers beware.
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:08:32
1 On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 19:46, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2 > Lisa Seelye wrote:
3 > > Let the conspiracy theories fly!
4
5 > This was really inappropriate lisa, there is nothing funny nor
6 > delusional about the situation. MS will seriously defend their trade
7 > secrets and take whatever action necessary to protect the code. Since
8 > projects like Samba, Gnome, KDE, etc have many overlapping components
9 > with Windows it could be devestating to those projects AND the GPL if
10 > they are found to have copied code from MS. We may not have many
11 > windows-like components but we do maintain ties with KDE, etc.
12 >
13 > Spider is absolutely right, if you value the GPL and Gentoo you won't
14 > even think about the MS code, just forget about it and go on with your work.
15
16 I'm quite sure Lisa meant this in jest, so lets just treat it as such.
17 Of course the issue is a serious one, but as I'm sure others would
18 agree, I cannot think of a developer who doesnt have the GPL moral value
19 ingrained within their persona, so perhaps we should just keep the point
20 Spider mentioned in our minds, and make it Business As Usual.
21
22 As I am sure will come out in the SCO vs Linux case, the GPL licence is
23 a valid one, and has its own legal weight as well.
26 Regards
27 John Mylchreest
28
29 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
30 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 0xEAB9E721
31 Key fingerprint: 0670 E5E4 F461 806B 860A 2245 A40E 72EB EAB9 E721
32 Web: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEAB9E721