From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:58:37
1 On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov
2 <mva@×××.name> wrote:
3 > Hey, all!
4 >
5 > Just one question: why do you all talking about IUSE=+oldnet, but not
6 > REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( net oldnet )" for example?
7
8 It it isn't necessary for a system to have support for either oldnet
9 or newnet. Sure, it is rare these days, but networking support should
10 be a default, not a requirement.
11
12 The USE default seems pretty reasonable to me. By all means use an
13 ewarn when neither is set, but it shouldn't be an error. If we must,
14 a news item might help, but I think that is pushing it. A better news
15 item would be explaining the perils of USE=-*.
16
17 Rich