From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:33:51
1 On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:23:24 -0700
2 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > Earlier I mentioned "3) The patch should not affect the build by
5 > > default."; if it does, we have to adjust it to not do that, this is
6 > > something that can be easily scripted. It's just a matter of
7 > > embedding each + block in the diff with a config check and updating
8 > > the counts.
9 >
10 > Look at aufs as a specific example of why you can't do that,
11 > otherwise, don't you think that the aufs developer(s) wouldn't have
12 > done so?
13 >
14 > The goal of "don't touch any other kernel code" is a very good one,
15 > but not always true for these huge out-of-tree kernel patches.
16 > Usually that is the main reason why these patches aren't merged
17 > upstream, because those changes are not acceptable.
18 >
19 > So be very careful here, you are messing with things that are rejected
20 > by upstream.
21
22 It sounds to me like some of those developers don't care about
23 providing an option yet; because they would introduce it as an
24 afterthought, based on its need and not just because they can.
25
26 I don't see why this would be problematic, embedding it in config
27 checks as well as checking whether the patch introduces non-conditional
28 code are trivial to implement; why do you think this is not always true?
29
30 Thank you for making us aware, feedback on this is nice.
33 With kind regards,
34
35 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
36 Gentoo Developer
37
38 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
39 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
40 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D