From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:12:08
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > El vie, 05-03-2010 a las 19:03 +0100, Dawid Węgliński escribió:
3 >
4 >> On Friday 05 March 2010 17:12:23 Roy Bamford wrote:
7 >>> That's not a new install as per the handbook. Neither are you a new
8 >>> user as you have a premade make.conf and world file and some experience
9 >>> with Gentoo.
10 >>>
11 >>> Put yourself in the place of a brand new Gentoo user doing his/her
12 >>> first install.
13 >>>
14 >>> It needs to just work out of the box, one way or another, without
15 >>> forums posts or calls for help in #gentoo about circular dependences.
16 >>> That's not just cups - thats all circular dependencies.
17 >>>
18 >> Brand new gentoo user goes throu handbook -> reads "set up USE variables in
19 >> make.conf" and does it according to his/her needs following use.*.desc. If
20 >> gentoo was new to me i *would* enter cups as i use printers often at work.
23 > +1
24 >
25 > I did it (I mean, add some commonly used USE flags) in all my Gentoo
26 > installations, and I would add "cups" for sure (since printing is used
27 > every day in most machines I use and administrate).
28 >
29 > Leio pointed some messages ago about the possibility of splitting some
30 > poppler parts to fix this circular dep issue, what is the problem with
31 > that option? The suggestion is not about splitting every poppler part in
32 > tons of ebuilds, but simply split poppler in the minimum needed to fix
33 > this problem (sorry if I missed the reply, I haven't followed discussion
34 > too deeply :-( )
35 >
36 > Thanks and best regards
39 This is what I am saying. *IF* cups were some little known or obscure
40 USE flag, one could make the argument that it would not be set until
41 later on. I started with Gentoo over 6 years ago. I had only used
42 anything Linux for a few months. I knew what cups was. Even tho I was
43 new to Linux when I first installed Mandrake, I knew I had a printer.
44 It was a old used one at the time but I still had a printer. I wanted
45 that printer to work. Mandrake picked that up for me, Gentoo is not
46 that way. I have to pick that up, not the OS.
47
48 I am also saying that this needs a long term fix. I'm thinking a long
49 term fix like happened with the blocks issue. If in the short term this
50 USE flag ha to be removed, then fine. It's doesn't really fix anything
51 is my opinion. If a user turns that flag on as is in the docs, the
52 problem is still there. This is why we need a long term fix. This may
53 take a good while, months, year, who knows. This just should not be
54 called "fixed" when the problem is still there. Please don't just
55 remove the USE flag and forget the reason it happened. This is Gentoo.
56 I'm proud to tell people I use it. I want it to stay on top of the pile
57 not fall to the bottom.
58
59 Dale
60