From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 18:38:35
1 El vie, 05-03-2010 a las 19:03 +0100, Dawid Węgliński escribió:
2 > On Friday 05 March 2010 17:12:23 Roy Bamford wrote:
5 > > That's not a new install as per the handbook. Neither are you a new
6 > > user as you have a premade make.conf and world file and some experience
7 > > with Gentoo.
8 > >
9 > > Put yourself in the place of a brand new Gentoo user doing his/her
10 > > first install.
11 > >
12 > > It needs to just work out of the box, one way or another, without
13 > > forums posts or calls for help in #gentoo about circular dependences.
14 > > That's not just cups - thats all circular dependencies.
15 >
16 > Brand new gentoo user goes throu handbook -> reads "set up USE variables in
17 > make.conf" and does it according to his/her needs following use.*.desc. If
18 > gentoo was new to me i *would* enter cups as i use printers often at work.
21 +1
22
23 I did it (I mean, add some commonly used USE flags) in all my Gentoo
24 installations, and I would add "cups" for sure (since printing is used
25 every day in most machines I use and administrate).
26
27 Leio pointed some messages ago about the possibility of splitting some
28 poppler parts to fix this circular dep issue, what is the problem with
29 that option? The suggestion is not about splitting every poppler part in
30 tons of ebuilds, but simply split poppler in the minimum needed to fix
31 this problem (sorry if I missed the reply, I haven't followed discussion
32 too deeply :-( )
33
34 Thanks and best regards