From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Herds suck, fix them
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:24:27
1 On Thursday 15 June 2006 14:56, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:31:41 -0400 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | So apparently they suck, anyone have a new shiny idea on how to group
6 > | packages and maintaining developers?
7 >
8 > Herds the way they operate in practice are fine. The issue is the old
9 > metastructure definition, which a) encourages dumping packages upon
10 > herds that don't want them and b) means you can't say "assign it to the
11 > vim herd". Which is rather annoying, because in practice the people
12 > that maintain a particular herd call themselves a herd, and the team /
13 > herd distinction is not usually made.
14 >
15 I have to agree that I have never understood the need for the distinction
16 between herd and team. It does not seem to add anything, I guess some people
17 do not like being referred to as a herd may be? It really doesn't bother me.
18 I think of a herd as a collection of developers working on a set of packages
19 kept under the same umbrella due to them being related in some way.
20
21 If people really do feel the need to distinguish these things then fine -
22 document it. Otherwise I will continue operating the way I do. I don't see
23 why it matters so much...