From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Herds suck, fix them
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:49:24
1 On Thursday 15 June 2006 20:17, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
2 >
3 > I have to agree that I have never understood the need for the distinction
4 > between herd and team. It does not seem to add anything, I guess some
5 > people do not like being referred to as a herd may be? It really doesn't
6 > bother me. I think of a herd as a collection of developers working on a set
7 > of packages kept under the same umbrella due to them being related in some
8 > way.
9
10 Basically a team may manage multiple herds, but still separte them because of
11 organizing reasons. At the days, the kde team herded three herds: QT,
12 kde-core, and kde-others. This allowed for example kde-others (random kde
13 apps) to receive different attention than core kde applications.
14
15 > If people really do feel the need to distinguish these things then fine -
16 > document it. Otherwise I will continue operating the way I do. I don't see
17 > why it matters so much...
18
19 I agree that in most cases team=herd and there is not "formal" project and it
20 really doesn't matter if you say that a herd maintains something when it's
21 the herd's maintainers that do so.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze