From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:13:11
1 On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 09:40 +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > into pkg_setup and be done with it; no need for RESTRICT=sandbox or
3 > ACCEPT_RESTRICT. Users can decide whether they really wish to install
4 > such app and disable sandbox temporarily if they think it's a good idea.
5
6 Uhh... you missed RESTRICT=userpriv and the upcoming RESTRICT=unattended
7 when calling for no "ACCEPT_RESTRICT"...
8
9 > If you'd like to commit this to the official tree, then either fix it
10 > properly or don't commit such stuff at all.
11
12 That's very easy for someone to say when they're not the ones involved
13 in the work. Placing artificial limitations such as this really is a
14 bad idea. After all, we're all about empowering the user to make the
15 choice, so let them make the choice. If users want the package, why
16 should we stop them when it is technically feasible and not completely
17 asinine? Besides, if I want to maintain some nasty application that
18 doesn't work with sandbox, who are you (or anyone, for that matter) to
19 tell me that I cannot?
20
21 Hell, we could even *not* have sandbox/userpriv in the default
22 ACCEPT_RESTRICT, since they have possible security implications.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
27 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
28 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
29 Gentoo Foundation