From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ROX: maintainer-wanted and apps out of date
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:55:55
1 On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 13:00 -0400, Peter Hyman wrote:
2 > What I WOULD like to know is:
3 >
4 > 1) what IS the status of svyatogor and lanius?
5
6 <CIA-1> svyatogor * gentoo/xml/htdocs/doc/ru/handbook/ (5 files):
7 <CIA-1> handbook indices for x86, AMD64, and SPARC archs. Bug #101063.
8 Commit is done
9
10 This is from today. At least svyatogor is active.
11
12 > 2) Who is maintaining ROX and what's going to be done about it.
13
14 Since svyatogor is active, I would say that he is maintaining it. My
15 "usual" answer to the "when will this be added to the tree" question is
16 "when it is done".
17
18 Your ebuilds were not ready for inclusion, which means that the
19 maintainer doesn't just need time to drop your ebuilds into an overlay,
20 emerge them, and commit them, but instead has to take time to resolve
21 any issues with them. Sometimes this is as simple as changing a word or
22 adding some quotes. Sometimes this can be rather extensive. Having a
23 100% correct ebuild, as we have been *trying* to tell you, reduces the
24 work on the maintainer to almost nil. A partially correct ebuild can
25 possibly even increase the amount of work needed, if the ebuild is in
26 especially bad shape. I understand your frustration, just understand
27 that a partially-correct ebuild could possibly not be any more helpful
28 than stating "a new version of $foo is out" when it comes to developer
29 time. Ciaran is only trying to help you write a better ebuild, so that
30 next time you make one, it will be correct and can go into the tree
31 without editing.
34 Chris Gianelloni
36 Games - Developer
37 Gentoo Linux