From: Peter Hyman <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ROX: maintainer-wanted and apps out of date
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:03:16
1 On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 18:12 +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 11:41 -0400, Peter Hyman wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 16:28 +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:03:17AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > > > > Many users seem to think
6 > > > > that a WONTFIX is non-negotiable. I tend to agree with them, for the
7 > > > > most part. Rather than WONTFIX them, simply tell them that they won't
8 > > > > be included as-is. WONTFIX gives the user the impression that we are
9 > > > > not interested in their work or the package, when this is not the case.
10 > > >
11 > > > But if a developer tells them what is wrong and to reopen the bug when
12 > > > they've fixed it, it shouldn't be a problem. And that's what I've seen
13 > > > in this case.
14 > > >
15 > >
16 > > I think you all misunderstand MY position on this. I provided ebuilds in
17 > > the hope it would save the maintainers time and effort. If the work I
18 > > did is 90% to spec, then there really is no reason for the maintainer
19 > > NOT to take it, tweak it, and maybe send a note or add a comment to the
20 > > bug as to what was fixed. It would ensure two things: 1) that the user
21 > > will (hopefully) not make the same mistake again, and 2) get the ebuild
22 > > upstream quicker.
23 > >
24 > > Sending it back to the contributor only will waste more time.
27 > You will get exactly the same effect if you were to send a patch to LKML
28 > to fix or improve some or other part of the kernel, and either the
29 > coding style, or the way it is fixed is not to Linus or the specific
30 > subsystem maintainer's liking.
31
32 Listen, if all you want is perfection, you will find users won't want to
33 contribute anymore. All you're accomplishing is wasting time. User
34 submits enhancement as per:
35 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ebuild-submit.xml . Nothing in that
36 document talks about having to be perfect. It even allows for users to
37 say "hey, there is a new version out." But know. The ebuild attack dogs
38 slap a WONTFIX/RESOLVED tag on an app. So, instead of an enhancement in
39 the pipeline, we have several dead bugs. Not contructive IMHO.
42 > The general idea is that if somebody want to get involved, they should
43 > be prepared to to take the time to learn how to do fairly decent
44 > patches/whatever. This makes review easier, and also minimises the
45 > workload on whatever maintainer.
46 >
47 I think you need to rethink that. Notifying a maintainer that there is
48 an update or new add on to an existing project is not really getting
49 involved. It's HELPING. I realize that maintainers cannot stay on top of
50 all 120,000 packages. That's where the everyday users come in. They,
51 selfishly, monitor THEIR pet applications. When something slips, they
52 report it via bugzilla. If the everyday users stop contributing these
53 notifications, your distro is SOL.
54
55 My mistake was trying to be helpful and submitting ebuilds. Instead of
56 being construed as helping, some of you perceived I was angling for a
57 dev position. Why DO you have over 600 maintainer-wanted ebuilds? You
58 should look into that. Could it be that 600 people who submitted an idea
59 were intimidated or put off?
60
61 What I WOULD like to know is:
62
63 1) what IS the status of svyatogor and lanius?
64 2) Who is maintaining ROX and what's going to be done about it.
65
66 Really, I don't want this thread to become a philosophical discussion on
67 ebuild submission policy. You know my frustration. As a user, I just
68 want to see the ROX package group updated as I noted on my first message
69 and in the associated bug reports. How this devolved into this name
70 calling argument over what is just criticism and ebuild style is
71 completely OT and avoids the issue of the two questions above.
72
73 So, please just answer the above two questions, and we can end this
74 thread. If philosophy is desired, then start a new one. I just want to
75 know about ROX now.
76 --
77 Peter
80 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list