From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ROX: maintainer-wanted and apps out of date
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:14:13
1 On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 11:41 -0400, Peter Hyman wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 16:28 +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:03:17AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > > Many users seem to think
5 > > > that a WONTFIX is non-negotiable. I tend to agree with them, for the
6 > > > most part. Rather than WONTFIX them, simply tell them that they won't
7 > > > be included as-is. WONTFIX gives the user the impression that we are
8 > > > not interested in their work or the package, when this is not the case.
9 > >
10 > > But if a developer tells them what is wrong and to reopen the bug when
11 > > they've fixed it, it shouldn't be a problem. And that's what I've seen
12 > > in this case.
15 > I think you all misunderstand MY position on this. I provided ebuilds in
16 > the hope it would save the maintainers time and effort. If the work I
17 > did is 90% to spec, then there really is no reason for the maintainer
18 > NOT to take it, tweak it, and maybe send a note or add a comment to the
19 > bug as to what was fixed. It would ensure two things: 1) that the user
20 > will (hopefully) not make the same mistake again, and 2) get the ebuild
21 > upstream quicker.
22 >
23 > Sending it back to the contributor only will waste more time.
26 You will get exactly the same effect if you were to send a patch to LKML
27 to fix or improve some or other part of the kernel, and either the
28 coding style, or the way it is fixed is not to Linus or the specific
29 subsystem maintainer's liking.
30
31 The general idea is that if somebody want to get involved, they should
32 be prepared to to take the time to learn how to do fairly decent
33 patches/whatever. This makes review easier, and also minimises the
34 workload on whatever maintainer.
38 Martin Schlemmer