From: Peter Hyman <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ROX: maintainer-wanted and apps out of date
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:45:07
1 On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 16:28 +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:03:17AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > Many users seem to think
4 > > that a WONTFIX is non-negotiable. I tend to agree with them, for the
5 > > most part. Rather than WONTFIX them, simply tell them that they won't
6 > > be included as-is. WONTFIX gives the user the impression that we are
7 > > not interested in their work or the package, when this is not the case.
8 >
9 > But if a developer tells them what is wrong and to reopen the bug when
10 > they've fixed it, it shouldn't be a problem. And that's what I've seen
11 > in this case.
14 I think you all misunderstand MY position on this. I provided ebuilds in
15 the hope it would save the maintainers time and effort. If the work I
16 did is 90% to spec, then there really is no reason for the maintainer
17 NOT to take it, tweak it, and maybe send a note or add a comment to the
18 bug as to what was fixed. It would ensure two things: 1) that the user
19 will (hopefully) not make the same mistake again, and 2) get the ebuild
20 upstream quicker.
21
22 Sending it back to the contributor only will waste more time.
23
24 The ROX situation is different though since it appears the two
25 maintainers have apparently gone AWOL. This, of course, I would not know
26 as a user/contributor. My frustration came out of inaction by the absent
27 maintainers.
28
29 However, the comments I got back along with the WONTFIX was AS IF I was
30 a maintainer and should have known better. That is incorrect. Had I
31 known there was no maintainer, then the delay on the ebuilds' inclusion
32 into portage would have been better understood.
33
34 But be cognizant of WHO is submitting ebuilds and provide guidance and
35 support according to that. A user cannot be expected to know all there
36 is to know about ebuilds. Some users just don't care. BUT they care
37 enough to try and keep packages up to date. There's the difference.
38 --
39 Peter
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list