From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ROX: maintainer-wanted and apps out of date
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:27:55
1 > I think you need to rethink that. Notifying a maintainer that there is
2 > an update or new add on to an existing project is not really getting
3 > involved. It's HELPING. I realize that maintainers cannot stay on top of
4 > all 120,000 packages. That's where the everyday users come in. They,
5 > selfishly, monitor THEIR pet applications. When something slips, they
6 > report it via bugzilla. If the everyday users stop contributing these
7 > notifications, your distro is SOL.
8 >
9 > My mistake was trying to be helpful and submitting ebuilds. Instead of
10 > being construed as helping, some of you perceived I was angling for a
11 > dev position. Why DO you have over 600 maintainer-wanted ebuilds? You
12 > should look into that. Could it be that 600 people who submitted an idea
13 > were intimidated or put off?
14 >
15 > What I WOULD like to know is:
16 >
17 > 1) what IS the status of svyatogor and lanius?
18 > 2) Who is maintaining ROX and what's going to be done about it.
19 >
20 > Really, I don't want this thread to become a philosophical discussion on
21 > ebuild submission policy. You know my frustration. As a user, I just
22 > want to see the ROX package group updated as I noted on my first message
23 > and in the associated bug reports. How this devolved into this name
24 > calling argument over what is just criticism and ebuild style is
25 > completely OT and avoids the issue of the two questions above.
26 >
27 > So, please just answer the above two questions, and we can end this
28 > thread. If philosophy is desired, then start a new one. I just want to
29 > know about ROX now.
30
31 Of course, in the time you have spent writing bitch after bitch in this
32 thread, I'm sure you would have had plenty of time to apply Ciaran's
33 suggestions such that your ebuilds could be accepted.
34
35 -Steve
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list