From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cleaning up integration of external repos into ::gentoo
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:03:08
1 On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 5:26 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 09:12:30 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> Now that we have the official git repository, I've switched user-facing
6 >> git mirrors from rsync->git to the real git. As a result, users are now
7 >> complaining that some random Gentoo metadata has disappeared.
8 >>
9 >> As you may have noticed already, I am *really* unhappy about adding
10 >> special conditionals with hardcoded URLs (and ugly mixing stuff) for
11 >> Gentoo. So if you really don't want to put the stuff into the repo,
12 >> please at least:
13 >
14 > IMO the best way will be to put mandatory stuff in the
15 > repo/gentoo.git.
16
17 Tend to agree. The main reason not to would be if they were
18 maintained by different groups and we wanted to control access. If
19 "news" were about PR that might be a real issue, but the GLEP news is
20 more about package notifications, and the security team probably also
21 needs tree access as well, so at least at present I'm not sure I see
22 the need to separate them. GLSA state is also pretty closely
23 associated with tree state so it really seems like it should be in the
24 tree.
25
26 If we do go the route of a machine-readable external-repos.conf or
27 something like that then perhaps it would make sense to have the
28 client just sync this directly, rather than gluing it all together
29 before sending it to them. That would also simplify things.
32 Rich