From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Categories for GUI stuff x11 and wayland
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 17:54:59
1 On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 12:27:35 -0500
2 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Up until now I had not been sure my messages were readable.
5
6 Take it as a compliment, at least 1 of the possible warnock[1] reasons
7 are favourable :)
8
9 > us·er ex·pe·ri·ence
10 > noun: user experience; plural noun: user experiences
11 > the overall experience of a person using a product such as a
12 > website or computer application, especially in terms of how easy or
13 > pleasing it is to use.
14 >
15 > From this definition, I see no connection to anything graphical. To
16 > the extent that words have meaning I think the selection of "ux-*"
17 > would be a mistake.
18 >
19 > Respectfully,
20 > R0b0t1
21
22 Yeah. Prescriptively you are right.
23
24 "UX" is not "A thing", it is not a piece of software, or even a
25 category of software.
26
27 "UX" is something software *produces*
28
29 In truth, it was much more about the "X" in the name as a minor
30 feature, because well, this is geekery, and we do things like this. :)
31
32 For instance, git master for perl is called "blead" ...
33
34 And GNU's Not Unix.
35
36 But yes, I do agree its not ideal still. But I'll try to think of other
37 terms that can sneak an "x" into them ;)
38
39 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_dilemma#Original_description