From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Who runs Gentoo was -> RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 14:57:30
1 Getting further off topic, rather not create noise to bother others, minimal
2 below.
3
4 On Saturday, December 3, 2016 9:36:47 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >
6 > Sure, and it probably will be the state of things 20 years from now,
7 > with Gentoo still having "little chance that even the minimum of
8 > release and bug-fixing goals will be met" and suffering a "rapid
9 > downfall of the distribution" :)
10 >
11 > The predictions of those paragraphs have not in fact come to pass.
12
13 The article is no spot on to things today, but does have lots of similarities.
14
15 > Would you agree that "if a person who repeatedly engages in personal
16 > attacks against other developers is permitted to remain with the
17 > project, then there is something wrong with the way the distribution
18 > is managed?"
19
20 I do not see how Gentoo the project as a whole is managed
21
22 > I find it a bit interesting that half of this article is about a
23 > failure to enforce a Code of Conduct that you don't actually think we
24 > ought to have, and that drobbins left in part because it wasn't being
25 > enforced.
26
27 That article is not correct on the Daniel Robbins aspect. I can have Daniel
28 comment if you like. It had more to do with leading Gentoo, resuming his
29 previous role etc. Nothing relating to CoC or individuals.
30
31 > Sometimes forks exist because individuals don't get along or have
32 > strong ideas for how things should work to the exclusion of other
33 > ideas of how things should work. That's fine, there is nothing wrong
34 > with forks.
35
36 It does not help the main community. My favorite story of such is Firebird and
37 its Vulcan fork. Which long story short was merged back into firebird and
38 became Firebird 3 :)
39
40 Good stuff can happen when people reunite. Not always the case with forks.
41 Some forks die. Not implying that in either case but historically that is the
42 case. Like XFree86 for example, over license changes.
43
44 > The current meta-structure of Gentoo is structured around the vision
45
46 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/
47 3ac5418dd061fc53f4b8d55a99773f4c
48
49 Been here before, said it all before... No need to repeat.
52 William L. Thomson Jr.