From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Who runs Gentoo was -> RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 14:36:56
1 On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 9:20 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Which was one of the last articles Gentoo mentioned in on Distro watch, till I
5 > believe the OnHub router. Based around that topic, quoting Ciaran.
6 >
7 > http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070312#future
8 >
9 > Most interesting about that article. If you read the last two paragraphs. I
10 > think some of that could be said about the state of things still.
13 Sure, and it probably will be the state of things 20 years from now,
14 with Gentoo still having "little chance that even the minimum of
15 release and bug-fixing goals will be met" and suffering a "rapid
16 downfall of the distribution" :)
17
18 The predictions of those paragraphs have not in fact come to pass.
19
20 Would you agree that "if a person who repeatedly engages in personal
21 attacks against other developers is permitted to remain with the
22 project, then there is something wrong with the way the distribution
23 is managed?"
24
25 I find it a bit interesting that half of this article is about a
26 failure to enforce a Code of Conduct that you don't actually think we
27 ought to have, and that drobbins left in part because it wasn't being
28 enforced.
29
30 Sometimes forks exist because individuals don't get along or have
31 strong ideas for how things should work to the exclusion of other
32 ideas of how things should work. That's fine, there is nothing wrong
33 with forks.
34
35 The current meta-structure of Gentoo is structured around the vision
36 that Gentoo is a place where people can make what they want of it, and
37 the governance bodies of Gentoo are mostly about dealing with
38 conflicting goals, not picking winners. Sure, the Council could take
39 a much more pro-active stance and say "Gentoo needs to be the best
40 distro for xyz so we should get rid of all this Java crap" but that
41 would be silly because the two aren't mutually exclusive and telling
42 people to not work on Java isn't going to magically inspire them to
43 work on something else instead.
46 Rich