From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:39:43
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 20:42, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 May 2006 20:33:05 +0200 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | > There is no such thing as a primary package manager and using such a
6 > | > term only serves to distract from what could otherwise be productive
7 > | > discussion.
8 > |
9 > | Why so. Portage is the one and only (thus primary) package manager
10 > | for the gentoo tree. It is by itself responsible for the database of
11 > | installed packages. This responsibility can only be held by one
12 > | package manager at the time as multiple databases would create
13 > | conflicts and / or missing information. That means at a system there
14 > | is a primary package manager.
15 >
16 > Circular argument.
17
18 Let me repeat it in primary school language.
19
20 A supported statement is one which has the form:
21
22 <reason 1> <reason 2> ... <Statement> ... <reason n-1> <reason n>
23
24 In short a supported statement has reasons that aim to argue why the statement
25 is true.
26
27 You say that there is no such a thing as a primary package manager, but fail
28 to state any reason (here or in other mails) as to why this is true. Instead
29 of arguing why my support is false you just say that I am saying things that
30 are not true. This is an unbased accusation.
31
32 This last email is close to slander.
33
34 Paul