From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: Portage rsync hardlink support
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 09:21:15
1 On 07/08/2018 02:15 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 8 lipca 2018 09:14:06 CEST, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> napisał(a):
3 >> On 07/07/2018 11:53 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>> Dnia 8 lipca 2018 08:08:31 CEST, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
5 >> napisał(a):
6 >>>> Please review.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Title: Portage rsync hardlink support
9 >>>> Author: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
10 >>>> Posted: 2018-07-11
11 >>>> Revision: 1
12 >>>> News-Item-Format: 2.0
13 >>>> Display-If-Installed: sys-apps/portage
14 >>>>
15 >>>> For users of the rsync tree, beginning with sys-apps/portage-2.3.42,
16 >>>> the default behavior for sync operations will use hardlinks in order
17 >>>> to ensure that a repository remains in a valid state if something
18 >>>> goes wrong [1]. For example, if signature verification fails during
19 >> a
20 >>>> sync operation, the new hardlink behavior will preserve the previous
21 >>>> state of the repository.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> The new behavior may conflict with configurations that restrict the
24 >>>> use of hardlinks, such as overlay filesystems. Therefore, users will
25 >>>> have to set "sync-allow-hardlinks = no" in repos.conf if they have
26 >>>> a configuration that restricts the use of hardlinks, but this should
27 >>>> not be very common:
28 >>>>
29 >>>> [DEFAULT]
30 >>>> sync-allow-hardlinks = no
31 >>>>
32 >>>> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/660410 sys-apps/portage: use rsync
33 >>>> --link-dest to implement atomic repository updates (and abort if
34 >>>> signature verification fails)
35 >>>
36 >>> Is safe git syncing implemented already? If not, maybe finish it
37 >> first and cover both with a single news item. Git is going to be more
38 >> efficient here, so people may want to learn they have an alternative.
39 >>
40 >> Yeah there's already a patch for git sync [1] but I'd rather not make
41 >> this news item more complicated than it needs to be. I wouldn't have
42 >> bothered with a news item except that I want to give people some
43 >> warning
44 >> in case they are using overlayfs [2]. I think the efficiency difference
45 >> between rsync and git here are pretty negligible for most people.
46 >
47 > Are you sure about that? That might have been the case so far but this hardlink tree may actually tip the balance.
48
49 Even if it takes twice a long (which it doesn't), the difference is
50 negligible for most people because they usually don't sync more than
51 once per day.
52 --
53 Thanks,
54 Zac