From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: Portage rsync hardlink support
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 09:15:34
1 Dnia 8 lipca 2018 09:14:06 CEST, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >On 07/07/2018 11:53 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Dnia 8 lipca 2018 08:08:31 CEST, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
4 >napisał(a):
5 >>> Please review.
6 >>>
7 >>> Title: Portage rsync hardlink support
8 >>> Author: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
9 >>> Posted: 2018-07-11
10 >>> Revision: 1
11 >>> News-Item-Format: 2.0
12 >>> Display-If-Installed: sys-apps/portage
13 >>>
14 >>> For users of the rsync tree, beginning with sys-apps/portage-2.3.42,
15 >>> the default behavior for sync operations will use hardlinks in order
16 >>> to ensure that a repository remains in a valid state if something
17 >>> goes wrong [1]. For example, if signature verification fails during
18 >a
19 >>> sync operation, the new hardlink behavior will preserve the previous
20 >>> state of the repository.
21 >>>
22 >>> The new behavior may conflict with configurations that restrict the
23 >>> use of hardlinks, such as overlay filesystems. Therefore, users will
24 >>> have to set "sync-allow-hardlinks = no" in repos.conf if they have
25 >>> a configuration that restricts the use of hardlinks, but this should
26 >>> not be very common:
27 >>>
28 >>> [DEFAULT]
29 >>> sync-allow-hardlinks = no
30 >>>
31 >>> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/660410 sys-apps/portage: use rsync
32 >>> --link-dest to implement atomic repository updates (and abort if
33 >>> signature verification fails)
34 >>
35 >> Is safe git syncing implemented already? If not, maybe finish it
36 >first and cover both with a single news item. Git is going to be more
37 >efficient here, so people may want to learn they have an alternative.
38 >
39 >Yeah there's already a patch for git sync [1] but I'd rather not make
40 >this news item more complicated than it needs to be. I wouldn't have
41 >bothered with a news item except that I want to give people some
42 >warning
43 >in case they are using overlayfs [2]. I think the efficiency difference
44 >between rsync and git here are pretty negligible for most people.
45
46 Are you sure about that? That might have been the case so far but this hardlink tree may actually tip the balance.
49 >[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/660372
50 >[2]
51 >https://www.brunsware.de/blog/gentoo/portage-tree-squashfs-overlayfs.html
55 Best regards,