From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:53:22
1 On Wednesday 20 August 2003 7:36 pm, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 20 August 2003 19:09, Douglas Russell wrote:
3 > > I agree with this entirely. I just don't understand what you would need
4 > > vi(m) to change a few variables for. nano does a really good job and is
5 > > really easy to use for inexperienced users where as vi is a bit daunting.
6
7 Because, for professional UNIX hacks like myself, vi is an editor that is
8 universally present on just about all UNIX-like operating systems. Not
9 everyone installing Gentoo is an inexperienced user. And I'll leave the
10 debate at that.
11
12 > Please, not again (or do it on the users list). vi is on the install cd
13 > because of people not being "able" to work with nano. We managed to keep it
14 > out of system which I believe is good. Now stop the discussion, vi has been
15 > discussed too much on this list allready, and nothing should change to the
16 > current situation concerning vim.
17 >
18 > Paul
19
20 Sorry, Paul, I don't agree with you about leaving vim alone on the basic
21 install CD, and I'm not happy about you telling people to stop the discussion
22 either. On the basic install CD, vim takes up megabytes of diskspace - space
23 that could and should be saved. We're not talking about trying to save 200K,
24 we're talking a substantial saving.
25
26 Best regards,
27 Stu
28 --
29 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
30 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
31 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
32 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
33
34 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
35 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
36 --