From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for advanced useflag-syntax
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:29:40
1 * Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > $ grep minimal /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
6 > minimal - Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
7 > fonts, most drivers, non-critical features)
8
9 Very vague.
10 The user has to take a deep look into the ebuilt and the binary
11 package to see what's actually inside.
12
13 And if you just use this one flag for the whole monolithic
14 Xorg tree, you'll loose the ability to install just what's needed.
15 There has to be an frontline somewhere, and its only *one* line.
16 So you have to make a decision, where it actually is.
17 No matter where you define it, in most situations you will have
18 to install much much more than really necessary. Either the minimal
19 variant is too big that it doesn't save much, or it is too small
20 that you'll need the whole thing.
21
22 I think, modularized Xorg, as we have today, is far much better
23 than the old monolithic thing.
26 cu
27 --
29 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
31 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
32 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
33 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
34 http://patches.metux.de/
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list