From: Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for advanced useflag-syntax
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:20:27
1 On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:50:18 +0200
2 Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > * Jan Kundrat <jkt@g.o> schrieb:
5 > > On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
6 > > > For example: I've got several headless server systems where I now
7 > > > have to run some X applications. I only need xlib (and its deps)
8 > > > on this system, not the whole X distribution. In a monolithic
9 > > > world, I would have to install *everything*, from server to tools,
10 > > > just for getting some libs.
11 > >
12 > > Or you could have used the "minimal" USE flag.
13 >
14 > And what does this flag exactly say at this point ?
15
16 $ grep minimal /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
17 minimal - Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
18 fonts, most drivers, non-critical features)
19
20 > Install only xlib ?
21 > Install xlib and some further ones ? Which ones ?
22 > Install all libs ?
23
24 Look at the ebuilds and you will find the answer to these questions.
25
26 -Thomas