From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-3 draft: slot operator support
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:24:26
1 On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:25:33 +0300
2 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 > Are we sure := and :* is the syntax that makes sense once we try to
4 > cover some of the above with new syntax?
5
6 := and :* covers the cases that can be covered with existing dependency
7 ranges. If you want to cover things that need horrible || hacks with the
8 current dependency format, you also need either to add ||= and ||*
9 dependencies (which run against the definition of ||) or start
10 supporting [>=2&<3] ranged dependencies.
11
12 := and :* are appropriate. Your objections to them are based upon
13 limitations with the current dependency format, and have nothing to do
14 with := and :* themselves.
15
16 They're not real limitations, either, since as Tiziano points out, in
17 the real world there's a neat correspondence between version ranges
18 and slots, and if there aren't you can't deal with them anyway.
21 Ciaran McCreesh