From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo devs <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-3 draft: slot operator support
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 02:25:05
1 Hello,
4 This thread is for any discussion about the slot operator support item
5 in EAPI-3 draft.
6
7 The premise is good what := and :* allow for, but I'm concerned about
8 the syntax possibly ending up being suboptimal in relation to the syntax
9 we come up in the future for covering the cases not covered now.
12 Such cases are for example:
13
14 * A library package has slots 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8. An application works
15 with either 2.6 or 2.8, but needs a recompile for changed ABI. It does
16 not work with 2.4 - it has API missing that it needs.
17 * Same case as previous, but additionally the library has a version with
18 slot 3.0 - it is a complete redesign and applications working with 2.8
19 have no chance of working. So need to express a list of acceptable SLOTs
20 or a minimum and maximum (but slots aren't really guaranteed to be
21 numeric and versionable).
22 * Same case as previous (either of them), but if using SLOT 2.6, it
23 needs to be at least >=libr/ary-2.6.5:2.6 and if SLOT 2.8 at least
24 >=libr/ary-2.8.3:2.8. A re-compile if switching provider may or may not
25 be necessary (considering both cases separately)
26
27 * A library provides slots 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6. An application can work
28 with all of them, but needs a recompile if upgrading from being linked
29 against 1.2 to newer. 1.4 and 1.6 are runtime interchangeable. Very rare
30 possibility of this though, involving dlopen and more. Probably
31 acceptable to declare rebuild need for all changes.
34 Are we sure := and :* is the syntax that makes sense once we try to
35 cover some of the above with new syntax?
36
37 Perhaps some forward thinking is sensible here to not end up with having
38 to deprecate the := and :* syntax soon after its introduction.
43 Mart Raudsepp
44 Gentoo Developer
45 Mail: leio@g.o
46 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio