From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 16:07:34
1 On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 08:35:32AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Alex Alexander <wired@g.o> wrote:
3 > > If people are really interested in keeping a tight, self contained root,
4 > > we need to:
5 > >
6 > > - establish a [tight] list of software we consider critical for /
7 > > - fix/patch software in that list so it can run without /usr there
8 > > - create /bin => /usr/bin/ symlinks for above software (simplifies
9 > >  things if packages start hardcoding /usr/bin here and there)
10 > > - move everything else in /usr/bin/
11 >
12 > You're missing one thing:
13 >
14 > - establish a list of all the configurations that will actually work
15 > with this self-contained root
16 >
17 > I think this is why there is so much disagreement over whether this is
18 > a good move. If you have a really simple configuration, then the
19 > self-contained root concept works reasonably well (though apparently
20 > we'll have to heavily patch newer versions of udev or abandon it to
21 > sustain this).
22 >
23 > However, if you have a very complex configuration the current
24 > self-contained root is already broken and you need an initramfs
25 > anyway. For in-between cases things might work now but that is likely
26 > to change as upstream moves on.
27 >
28 > The binary distros don't have users tweaking their kernels and init
29 > scripts, so they basically have to design for worst-case. Gentoo can
30 > get away with designing for more of an average case since we just tell
31 > anybody with a complex case to go read a howto and configure what is
32 > necessary (and we like to do that stuff anyway).
33 >
34 > We can choose not to like it, but it sounds like maintaining a
35 > self-contained root for even the typical case will become untenable.
36 > Those who argue that having /usr on a separate partition simply
37 > shouldn't be supported are basically just saying that our
38 > "self-contained root" should include everything in /usr which seems to
39 > defeat the whole point of a "self-contained root" anyway.
40 >
41 > It seems to me that the most reasonable approach is to not force the
42 > issue, but not deviate greatly from upstream either. That means
43 > accepting that over time the rootfs will become less and less capable
44 > of working on its own, and immediately improving tools like dracut to
45 > overcome these limitations. Users who can get away with it can avoid
46 > using an initramfs, at least for a time.
47 >
48 > Sure, it is all open source, and Gentoo can swim upstream if we REALLY
49 > want to. However, this only works if developers are willing to spend
50 > the time constantly fixing upstream's tools. It sounds to me like the
51 > maintainers of packages like udev/systemd/etc want to actually move in
52 > the same direction as upstream so in practice I don't see that
53 > happening.
54 >
55 > Now, Gentoo is about choice, so one thing we should try to do as much
56 > as possible is understand the limitations of the various
57 > configurations and make it clear to users when they do and don't need
58 > an initramfs. To be honest, tight coupling worries me more than the
59 > /usr move, since that has a lot more potential to constrain the
60 > choices we can offer our users (which is a great deal of the value
61 > that Gentoo offers). I understand its advantages, but it seems
62 > somewhat contrary to "the unix way."
63
64 That's why I wrote "tight list". I do not expect the self-contained root
65 to be able to handle everything /usr (or a complete initramfs) would.
66 What it could and couldn't do is something that needs to be decided, but
67 some work is already done there - it's just a bit messy and incomplete
68 and because most people don't care it keeps getting worse.
69
70 The important thing here is to make a clear definition of where we draw
71 the line and make sure things work the way we want them to.
72
73 I agree with you in that at some point patching may become too time
74 consuming, but I still believe that if we do this properly, with a
75 well-defined plan and list of packages we want to keep in / (with
76 symlinks to be compatible with whatever others are trying to do), we
77 won't be alone in this. Gentoo may be one of the most hardcore
78 power-user distros out there, but we're certainly not the only one.
79
80 Now, if only we had people interested enough in doing this... :)
81 --
82 Alex Alexander | wired
83 + Gentoo Linux Developer
84 ++ www.linuxized.com