From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 23:48:26
1 Am Freitag 06 Januar 2012, 17:07:20 schrieb Alex Alexander:
2 > On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 08:35:32AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Alex Alexander <wired@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > If people are really interested in keeping a tight, self contained
5 > > > root, we need to:
6 > > >
7 > > > - establish a [tight] list of software we consider critical for /
8 > > > - fix/patch software in that list so it can run without /usr there
9 > > > - create /bin => /usr/bin/ symlinks for above software (simplifies
10 > > > things if packages start hardcoding /usr/bin here and there)
11 > > > - move everything else in /usr/bin/
12 > >
13 > > You're missing one thing:
14 > >
15 > > - establish a list of all the configurations that will actually work
16 > > with this self-contained root
17 > >
18 > > I think this is why there is so much disagreement over whether this is
19 > > a good move. If you have a really simple configuration, then the
20 > > self-contained root concept works reasonably well (though apparently
21 > > we'll have to heavily patch newer versions of udev or abandon it to
22 > > sustain this).
23 > >
24 > > However, if you have a very complex configuration the current
25 > > self-contained root is already broken and you need an initramfs
26 > > anyway. For in-between cases things might work now but that is likely
27 > > to change as upstream moves on.
28 > >
29 > > The binary distros don't have users tweaking their kernels and init
30 > > scripts, so they basically have to design for worst-case. Gentoo can
31 > > get away with designing for more of an average case since we just tell
32 > > anybody with a complex case to go read a howto and configure what is
33 > > necessary (and we like to do that stuff anyway).
34 > >
35 > > We can choose not to like it, but it sounds like maintaining a
36 > > self-contained root for even the typical case will become untenable.
37 > > Those who argue that having /usr on a separate partition simply
38 > > shouldn't be supported are basically just saying that our
39 > > "self-contained root" should include everything in /usr which seems to
40 > > defeat the whole point of a "self-contained root" anyway.
41 > >
42 > > It seems to me that the most reasonable approach is to not force the
43 > > issue, but not deviate greatly from upstream either. That means
44 > > accepting that over time the rootfs will become less and less capable
45 > > of working on its own, and immediately improving tools like dracut to
46 > > overcome these limitations. Users who can get away with it can avoid
47 > > using an initramfs, at least for a time.
48 > >
49 > > Sure, it is all open source, and Gentoo can swim upstream if we REALLY
50 > > want to. However, this only works if developers are willing to spend
51 > > the time constantly fixing upstream's tools. It sounds to me like the
52 > > maintainers of packages like udev/systemd/etc want to actually move in
53 > > the same direction as upstream so in practice I don't see that
54 > > happening.
55 > >
56 > > Now, Gentoo is about choice, so one thing we should try to do as much
57 > > as possible is understand the limitations of the various
58 > > configurations and make it clear to users when they do and don't need
59 > > an initramfs. To be honest, tight coupling worries me more than the
60 > > /usr move, since that has a lot more potential to constrain the
61 > > choices we can offer our users (which is a great deal of the value
62 > > that Gentoo offers). I understand its advantages, but it seems
63 > > somewhat contrary to "the unix way."
64 >
65 > That's why I wrote "tight list". I do not expect the self-contained root
66 > to be able to handle everything /usr (or a complete initramfs) would.
67 > What it could and couldn't do is something that needs to be decided, but
68 > some work is already done there - it's just a bit messy and incomplete
69 > and because most people don't care it keeps getting worse.
70 >
71 > The important thing here is to make a clear definition of where we draw
72 > the line and make sure things work the way we want them to.
73 >
74 > I agree with you in that at some point patching may become too time
75 > consuming, but I still believe that if we do this properly, with a
76 > well-defined plan and list of packages we want to keep in / (with
77 > symlinks to be compatible with whatever others are trying to do), we
78 > won't be alone in this. Gentoo may be one of the most hardcore
79 > power-user distros out there, but we're certainly not the only one.
80 >
81 > Now, if only we had people interested enough in doing this... :)
82
83 I'm interested in everything which prevents such kind of insanity from Gentoo.
84 So count me in as volunteer keeping /bin, /sbin and /lib in Gentoo and systemd
85 away from it.
86 As long as we keep trying and working hard I'm sure we can do the workload
87 that might come across when blind upstreams start adopting those foolish
88 systemd/GnomeOS ideas...
91 Lars Wendler (Polynomial-C)