From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: aging ebuilds with unstable keywords - how can we help?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:05:45
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > On 7/2/06, Daniel Ahlberg <aliz@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> This is an automatically created email message.
7 >> http://gentoo.tamperd.net/stable has just been updated with 15968
8 >> ebuilds.
9 >
10 > A question [1] has come up on -user about why some ebuilds take so
11 > long to become stable for an arch. This isn't the old "when will we
12 > have KDE yesterday.3am" type question. In reviewing the above
13 > database, and the OP, it looks like a fair number of ebuilds that
14 > could/should be stable are not.
15 >
16 > Of particular concern to me are packages that:
17 >
18 > a) have no open bugs.
19 > b) are marked stable on some archs, but not others.
20 > c) may have only a single version available in portage.
21 >
22 > As an example, consider net-analyzer/etherape, which is "~amd64 ppc
23 > sparc x86", and has no open bugs (other than a version bump request),
24 > and only a single version available in portage to begin with.
25 >
26 > So my question is: is there anything that interested users can do to
27 > help here? I know we can file stabilization bugs, but I agree with
28 > Robert [1] that this should not be necessary in the normal case.
29 > Besides, do you _really_ want 16,000 new bug reports that say nothing
30 > more than "blah/foo works for me, please stabilize"! Is the problem a
31 > lack of time, devs, arch testers, or interested users?
32
33 The problem is in the system. Unless you are a developer _and_ part of the
34 arch team you cannot do anything but file a bug and wait and wait and wait
35 until a member of the arch team decides to test the package again for his
36 own and mark it stable.
37
38 So with the current system the arch teams cannot cover all the packages. I
39 would say for your litle pet package to get stable you have little chances.
40 And you would not want it stable anyway, because stable marking usually
41 lacks behind the bugs of the package. That means you most certainly will
42 hit the bugs and a month later when someone has filed a bug _and_ the
43 package herd or developer has said yes _and_ a developer from the arch team
44 has tested it the bug will be stable, too.
45
46 As a better system I would like to see packages stable automatically after
47 30 days and no bugs. But this is probably not going to happen with gentoo
48 so I just stay away from stable and put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in my make.conf
49
50 Things you can do for stabilization to go better:
51 - file a lot of bugs and wait
52 - become an arch tester and test packages to recommend them for
53 stabilization. Of course they still need testing by a developer in the team
54 then.
55 - look for developers and ask them to comment on stale bugs to get them
56 solved
57
58 To get involved the best way is maybe to show up in IRC in the arch team
59 channel like #gentoo-x86.
60
61 Best regards,
62 Stefan