From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] aging ebuilds with unstable keywords - how can we help?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 04:06:19
1 On 7/2/06, Daniel Ahlberg <aliz@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > This is an automatically created email message.
5 > http://gentoo.tamperd.net/stable has just been updated with 15968 ebuilds.
6
7 A question [1] has come up on -user about why some ebuilds take so
8 long to become stable for an arch. This isn't the old "when will we
9 have KDE yesterday.3am" type question. In reviewing the above
10 database, and the OP, it looks like a fair number of ebuilds that
11 could/should be stable are not.
12
13 Of particular concern to me are packages that:
14
15 a) have no open bugs.
16 b) are marked stable on some archs, but not others.
17 c) may have only a single version available in portage.
18
19 As an example, consider net-analyzer/etherape, which is "~amd64 ppc
20 sparc x86", and has no open bugs (other than a version bump request),
21 and only a single version available in portage to begin with.
22
23 So my question is: is there anything that interested users can do to
24 help here? I know we can file stabilization bugs, but I agree with
25 Robert [1] that this should not be necessary in the normal case.
26 Besides, do you _really_ want 16,000 new bug reports that say nothing
27 more than "blah/foo works for me, please stabilize"! Is the problem a
28 lack of time, devs, arch testers, or interested users?
29
30 Regards,
31 -Richard
32