From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] aging ebuilds with unstable keywords - how can we help?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 05:27:59
1 Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > A question [1] has come up on -user about why some ebuilds take so
3 > long to become stable for an arch.
4 <snip>
5 > So my question is: is there anything that interested users can do to
6 > help here? I know we can file stabilization bugs, but I agree with
7 > Robert [1] that this should not be necessary in the normal case.
8
9 Stabilization bugs are not a bad thing.
10
11 Speaking from a pure QA standpoint, they _should_ be the normal case.
12 There should be a tracker bug for each ebuild which users can tag with
13 "works for me!" and "have tested thoroughly" reports.
14
15 On the other hand, that's a bit much red tape for most devs, so they
16 don't do that when it's not useful. When it _is_ useful, go for it. If
17 you've been using a package for a while and you think it's ready for
18 primetime, use the available reporting mechanism and say so.
19
20 > [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/166565/focus=166565
23 my other signature is witty