From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: wg-stable@g.o, arch-leads@g.o, alpha@g.o, amd64@g.o, amd64-fbsd@g.o, arm@g.o, arm64@g.o, hppa@g.o, ia64@g.o, m68k@g.o, mips@g.o, ppc@g.o, ppc64@g.o, s390@g.o, sh@g.o, sparc@g.o, x86@g.o, x86-fbsd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:25:09
1 On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 18:12:52 -0500 Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 > > TL;DR;TL;DR:
6 > >
7 > [...]
8 >
9 > Here's a data point you may, or may not, find relevant. in 16 years of
10 > using Gentoo exclusively, the only one time I used stable on one machine
11 > for about 2 years it ended up being much more of a pain than unstable.
12 > Actually, I can't say I have anything to complain about unstable. On my
13 > critical machines I snapshot the system subvolume before I update. I can't
14 > remember the last time I had to roll back.
15
16 +1
17 I do not use stable, even in production. Too few packages, too old
18 versions, too long time to stabilize newer versions. I'm just OK
19 with ~arch.
20
21 > I'm sure most will disagree with me but since you're indirectly asking for
22 > my opinion here it is: I think people working on stable are wasting their
23 > time. But who am I to stop them...
24
25 I support stable in my packages, but mostly because I have to. One
26 of the real benefits from the stable for me is stabilization
27 process which sometimes uncovers otherwise undetected problems.
28
29 Of course there are people who use stable, I respect their opinion;
30 they have different use cases, practices, experience. So I'm not
31 asking to abandon stable, just explaining that for me and my cases
32 it is mostly useless.
33
34 Best regards,
35 Andrew Savchenko