From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:49:06
1 On Saturday 22 September 2007, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Steve Long wrote:
3 > > Great. What exactly? How does fulfilling the user requirement with
4 > > vapier's solution mess up catalyst?
5 >
6 > This is the the first time I've heard of a user requesting this change. It
7 > seems to me that many people prefer to *not* have a .bash{rc,_profile} in
8 > /root
9
10 sure, people with irrational (from the point of Gentoo) fears
11
12 actually read the default files and you'll see they're pretty much helpful
13 explanatory comments ... except for the logout file where it runs `clear` and
14 no one wants *that* for root
15
16 > which is the way it's always been.
17
18 on Gentoo, yes, it's been this way *so far*, but not for other distros
19
20 > Why not just add the ability to
21 > copy these files with 'emerge --config' to certain ebuilds, and then add a
22 > note to the handbook telling users to run the command if they want to?
23
24 running commands to get a sane default is not user friendly
25
26 > Even better, just tell the users to run 'cp -a /etc/skel/* /root/' if they
27 > really want the stuff, and not modify any ebuilds at all?
28
29 since it wont work at all ... i dont think ive ever seen /etc/skel/ have
30 something which didnt start with a .
31 -mike