From: Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@××××.org>
To: Jyrinx <jyrinx_list@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for user-developer communication
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 01:31:07
1 "One thing I could suggest...if version numbers are really as unimportant as
2 some claim (and I might be inclined to agree), drop them altogether for the
3 distribution as a whole, and instead call it "The Gentoo Project" or whatever,
4 with no public version numbers...except for the installer, for which a version
5 number could be viewed in the package name for download and during the
6 install, which is really the only time it would actually be important."
7
8 --> I like this idea...
11 Antoine Jacoutot
12 Gentoo Linux
13 ajacoutot@××××.org
14 http://www.lphp.org
17 Selon Jyrinx <jyrinx_list@××××××××××.com>:
18
19 > Hey, town curmudgeon here :-) There's been another "When on Earth is 1.4
20 > coming?" thread in the forums, but this time I judge it's going in a
21 > productive direction. I pulled some ideas from [your favorite anatomical
22 > source of ideas] for facilitating more communication between devs and
23 > users, and it was suggested I post those ideas here; in the meantime,
24 > though, so many other Tasty Morsels (tm) have come up that I think I'd
25 > do more justice for the subject by just inviting y'all to the party at
26 > this URL:
27 >
28 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=22308&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
29 >
30 > (In particular, the post in Page 2 from Zebulon is a good summary of
31 > the propositions.)
32 >
33 > Jyrinx
34 > jyrinx_list@××××××××××.com