From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Watch out for license changes to GPL-3.
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 03:59:06
1 Add usual IANAL disclaimer here. All of what I say below is just a
2 recall of what I remember from discussions that happened a few years
3 ago.
4
5 On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 04:53:10 +0200
6 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
7
8 > To be exact, by submitting an ebuild, you actively surrender the
9 > copyright to the ebuild to the Gentoo Foundation, formerly Gentoo
10 > Technologies, Inc. [1], the original commit of skel.build (later
11 > skel.ebuild) already made this very clear:
12
13 Only if the ebuild actually includes our copyright header, and even then
14 is probably questionable in legal terms.
15
16 > I remember seeing a less subtle statement to this effect (that the
17 > copyright to anything you submit to Gentoo's CVS is passed on to
18 > the Gentoo Project) a long time ago, probably in the devrel/recruiters
19 > documentation during my own recruitment.
20
21 I think you're talking about the copyright assignment doc, which new
22 devs were required to sign for some time (back when drobbins was still
23 in charge) and send back to drobbins, but which was pulled because of
24 serious flaws. Ever since the copyright assignment issue has been
25 something the foundation/board of trustees should have take care of
26 (one of the reasons we needed the lawyers), with no result so far.
27
28 > Sadly, currently no document on www.gentoo.org explains the judicial
29 > better than [3], which has this:
30 >
31 > "The bureaucracy we mention includes:
32 >
33 > [...]
34 >
35 > - juridical protection: backing up the licenses Gentoo uses,
36 > maintaining the copyrights on Gentoo's software, documentation
37 > and other assets and protecting Gentoo's intellectual property"
38 >
39 > and also:
40 >
41 > "In other words, the Gentoo Foundation will:
42 >
43 > [...]
44 >
45 > - protect the developed code, documentation, artwork and other
46 > material through copyright and licenses"
47
48 Which isn't really related, as we can only protect what we own.
49
50 > Therefore, the copyright to an ebuild is or should be actively and
51 > simply turned over to the Gentoo Foundation by the developer, and this
52 > should be made policy and should be explained properly in a few places
53 > in our documentation.
54 >
55 > Should I file a documentation bug about this?
56
57 Well, documention won't help to resolve the legal questions about this
58 (what exactly is necessary to assign copyright from a person to the
59 foundation), and that's the main problem IMO.
60
61 Marius
64 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
65 --