From: Frederic Soulier <frederic.soulier@××××××××.com>
To: RYMNAT_ADSL <RYMNAT_ADSL@×××××.es>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installation
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 05:23:29
1 > I have just installed the Gentoo Linux and I'm very happy with it,
2 > but think it could be better.
3 Everything can always be better :)
4
5 > Eventhough, the installation could be a little simpler, with at
6 > least, a menu based installation (if not graphical), like, for example,
7 > RedHat5 or so. In addition, things like network card module load, may
8 > be done automatically. If the system detects my ne2k-pci (as it does),
9 > why doesn´t it load the module by itself?. A menu-based ip
10 > configuration, CPU selection (for the -mcpu, -march)... In one word, a
11 > front-end.
12 > The installation itself is not hard (at least for someone with a
13 > little experience), but with an appropiate front-end, it would be just
14 > incredible.
15 Well, I believe the main goal for Gentoo is total flexibility/control
16 over what you want to do with your setup and do not forget Gentoo is
17 still very young. The more important is to have an emerge tool that is
18 flexible/reliable/fast because it is really the heart of Gentoo. Then
19 all things are possible including better hardware detection, maybe GUI
20 installation. One thing people using Gentoo do not want to lose is
21 flexibility/control over proliferation of GUIs. For the time being
22 Gentoo is a distribution for people ready to spend time on their system.
23 But really rewarding, believe me.. and being able to keep your system
24 up-to-date with emerge is easy beyond belief :) :)
25
26 > Another little thing is a graphical tool which lets you see the
27 > packages installed and those available at Gentoo, install those you
28 > want with just one click (or some of them), de-install them in the same
29 > way, etc.
30 That's your lucky day, it's called "kportagemaster".
31 Try "emerge rsync" then "emerge -p kportagemaster" then if your happy
32 "emerge kportagemaster"
33
34 > Nothing more. Just to say that this is, by far, the best distribution
35 > I've ever used (and I've used, SlackWare (by the timer fvwm95 "was
36 > born"), RedHat (5, 6, 7), Suse (7 & 8), Debian (potato), Mandrake 8...).
37 Excellent conclusion indeed :)
38
39 /Fred