From: RYMNAT_ADSL <RYMNAT_ADSL@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installation
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 04:46:03
1 Dear people at Gentoo,
2
3 I have just installed the Gentoo Linux and I'm very happy with it,
4 but think it could be better.
5 First, say that Gentoo is exactly what I was looking for. I had done
6 something like it with a Suse distribution, due to the fact that it was
7 the "only" one wich had the gcc2.95 instead of the buggy 2.96. It had
8 gcc but X was old, so I installed a base system and compiled a lot of
9 things on the top of it, but now, Gentoo does it in a much more
10 confortable way.
11
12 Eventhough, the installation could be a little simpler, with at
13 least, a menu based installation (if not graphical), like, for example,
14 RedHat5 or so. In addition, things like network card module load, may
15 be done automatically. If the system detects my ne2k-pci (as it does),
16 why doesn´t it load the module by itself?. A menu-based ip
17 configuration, CPU selection (for the -mcpu, -march)... In one word, a
18 front-end.
19
20 The installation itself is not hard (at least for someone with a
21 little experience), but with an appropiate front-end, it would be just
22 incredible.
23
24 Another little thing is a graphical tool which lets you see the
25 packages installed and those available at Gentoo, install those you
26 want with just one click (or some of them), de-install them in the same
27 way, etc.
28
29 Nothing more. Just to say that this is, by far, the best distribution
30 I've ever used (and I've used, SlackWare (by the timer fvwm95 "was
31 born"), RedHat (5, 6, 7), Suse (7 & 8), Debian (potato), Mandrake 8...).
35 Thanks for the best (and fastest) Linux ever.
36
37 Igor Modino.