From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for March 26
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 06:53:59
1 Am Mittwoch, den 25.03.2009, 23:23 +0000 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
2 > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:06:37 +0100
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > 9) EAPI 3 bans || ( use? ( ... ) )
5 > >
6 > > What is the suggested replacement? If there's a decent one, sure.
7 >
8 > The replacement is to write the deps out correctly. Every single use of
9 > || ( use? ( ... ) ) in the tree is wrong.
10 I created bug #262297 for that (with more text, featuring a citation
11 from a famous non-gentoo-dev ;-).
14 > > > 2) EAPI 3 supports slot operator dependencies
15 > >
16 > > Was this for bug #229521? If so, sure.
17 >
18 > Yup. I'm avoiding the term 'multi-slot', though, since that's not what
19 > this is and we're already using multi- in relation to slots for the
20 > non-static SLOT idea.
21 >
22 > > > 10) dohard and dosed banned in EAPI 3
23 > >
24 > > I think I missed the reasoning for removing these, particularly
25 > > dosed. pybugz didn't see any open bugs.
26 >
27 > Portage doesn't merge hardlinks correctly, so dohard is bad.
28 And there's at least one ebuild in the tree which tries to create a
29 hardlink across multiple directories and there fails if those are on
30 separate volumes
31
32 > And
33 > dosed's been considered deprecated for years.
34 I've been taught so as well.
38 > > > 11) doinclude, newinclude for EAPI 3
39 > >
40 > > Is installing to /usr/include by default useful for most packages
41 > > that want to use this? Or would they /usr/include/${PN}? If you have
42 > > to change it often, aren't you just as well off using insinto/doins?
43 > > Should there be an "includeinto"?
44 > I'd be inclined to agree on that one, but people seem to be after more
45 > of these do* things.
46 Would it be possible that doinclude could also strip "+x" from
47 permission bits? I encountered quiet a few packages having +x set for
48 whatever reason and I had to change that manually.
52 > > > 21) REPLACING_VERSIONS and REPLACED_BY_VERSION in EAPI 3
53 > >
54 > > I'm curious why it isn't global. Seems like it would make sense to
55 > > put it near dependencies. Also I could be wrong, but wouldn't you
56 > > want to be able to cache this and show smart pretend output, etc?
57 >
58 > I think you're misunderstanding what this is for. It's to allow
59 > packages to work out whether they're upgrading / downgrading /
60 > reinstalling / whatever, since Zac broke the devmanual-documented and
61 > PMS-required way of doing it using has_version and refuses to revert it.
62 >
63 ... and this also more or less explains why it's only available in some
64 phases. What must be said here is that REPLACING_VERSIONS and
65 REPLACED_BY_VERSION in pkg_pretend and pkg_setup must be used carefully
66 since they may or may not be defined in those phases and there's also no
67 way to guarantee it (think of binary packages).