From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for March 26
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:24:01
1 On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:06:37 +0100
2 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 > > 9) EAPI 3 bans || ( use? ( ... ) )
4 >
5 > What is the suggested replacement? If there's a decent one, sure.
6
7 The replacement is to write the deps out correctly. Every single use of
8 || ( use? ( ... ) ) in the tree is wrong.
9
10 > > 2) EAPI 3 supports slot operator dependencies
11 >
12 > Was this for bug #229521? If so, sure.
13
14 Yup. I'm avoiding the term 'multi-slot', though, since that's not what
15 this is and we're already using multi- in relation to slots for the
16 non-static SLOT idea.
17
18 > > 10) dohard and dosed banned in EAPI 3
19 >
20 > I think I missed the reasoning for removing these, particularly
21 > dosed. pybugz didn't see any open bugs.
22
23 Portage doesn't merge hardlinks correctly, so dohard is bad. And
24 dosed's been considered deprecated for years.
25
26 > > 11) doinclude, newinclude for EAPI 3
27 >
28 > Is installing to /usr/include by default useful for most packages
29 > that want to use this? Or would they /usr/include/${PN}? If you have
30 > to change it often, aren't you just as well off using insinto/doins?
31 > Should there be an "includeinto"?
32
33 I'd be inclined to agree on that one, but people seem to be after more
34 of these do* things.
35
36 > > 21) REPLACING_VERSIONS and REPLACED_BY_VERSION in EAPI 3
37 >
38 > I'm curious why it isn't global. Seems like it would make sense to
39 > put it near dependencies. Also I could be wrong, but wouldn't you
40 > want to be able to cache this and show smart pretend output, etc?
41
42 I think you're misunderstanding what this is for. It's to allow
43 packages to work out whether they're upgrading / downgrading /
44 reinstalling / whatever, since Zac broke the devmanual-documented and
45 PMS-required way of doing it using has_version and refuses to revert it.
48 Ciaran McCreesh