From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for March 26
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:06:45
1 On 20:38 Sun 22 Mar , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > 1) EAPI 3 has pkg_pretend.
3 > 3) EAPI 3 has use dependency defaults
4 > 5) EAPI 3 has a default src_install
5 > 15) USE is stricter in EAPI 3
6 > 19) RDEPEND=DEPEND gone in EAPI 3
7 > 22) EAPI 3 has nonfatal, utilities die
8
9 Very Yes. I would really like to see these in portage.
10
11 > 14) EAPI 3 supports pkg_info on installed packages
12
13 This should be "uninstalled", and yes.
14
15 > 4) PROPERTIES, DEFINED_PHASES mandatory in EAPI 3
16 > 6) EAPI 3 has controllable compression and docompress
17 > 7) EAPI 3 has dodoc -r
18 > 8) EAPI 3 requires doins support for symlinks
19 > 12) EAPI 3 supports .xz, .tar.xz
20 > 13) EAPI 3 has more econf arguments
21 > 16) AA, KV gone in EAPI 3
22 > 17) S to WORKDIR fallback conditional for EAPI 3
23 > 20) EAPI 3 has doexample.
24
25 Sure. Anything here is optional but nice.
26
27 > 9) EAPI 3 bans || ( use? ( ... ) )
28
29 What is the suggested replacement? If there's a decent one, sure.
30
31 > 2) EAPI 3 supports slot operator dependencies
32
33 Was this for bug #229521? If so, sure.
36 Now for the ones I'm not so sure about...
37
38 > 10) dohard and dosed banned in EAPI 3
39
40 I think I missed the reasoning for removing these, particularly dosed.
41 pybugz didn't see any open bugs.
42
43 > 11) doinclude, newinclude for EAPI 3
44
45 Is installing to /usr/include by default useful for most packages that
46 want to use this? Or would they /usr/include/${PN}? If you have to
47 change it often, aren't you just as well off using insinto/doins? Should
48 there be an "includeinto"?
49
50 > 18) EAPI 3 has unpack --if-compressed, new src_unpack
51
52 Still not convinced about this.
53
54 > 21) REPLACING_VERSIONS and REPLACED_BY_VERSION in EAPI 3
55
56 I'm curious why it isn't global. Seems like it would make sense to put
57 it near dependencies. Also I could be wrong, but wouldn't you want to be
58 able to cache this and show smart pretend output, etc?
61 Thanks,
62 Donnie
63
64 Donnie Berkholz