From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: allow -1 for ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID in ::gentoo
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 06:16:19
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2021/12/01 03:32, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > This is the part of this that I don't understand. If we aren't enforcing
5 > an ID, why do we care which ID to try first? It seems to be an
6 > unnecessary step since users can pick the IDs they want by putting
7 > settings in make.conf.
8
9 Because when running clusters of hosts it's useful to have the UIDs for
10 "system" users match.  Yes, I know this won't match in a multi-distro
11 setup, but at least for those of us with clusters consisting only of
12 Gentoo hosts it will *usually* match.  Changing these are possible, but
13 a nuisance, so having it "just work" for the usual case is great IMHO.
14
15 If I'm not mistaken there is a setting to REQUIRE the ID, and that could
16 even be set from make.conf, or env/ so for those packages that we care
17 about that (eg, mailman running on top of glusterfs) we use that.
18
19 Kind Regards,
20 Jaco