From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Signing everything, for fun and for profit
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 13:17:24
1 On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 10:13 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
2 > Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >
4 > > Signing strategies
5 > > ==================
6 > >
7 > > Once there is an agreement on what files to sign with what kind of keys
8 > > there remains the question how to sign it. There are at least three
9 > > strategies:
10 > > [...]
11 >
12 > I prefer a semi-secure solution appearing soon rather than waiting
13 > another three+ years for a potentially better solution.
14 A staged plan might be best then:
15 - implement a simple master-key signing
16 - discuss the more complex distributed models
17 - implement the distributed models if agreed upon
18
19 > Currently users only have two choices :
20 >
21 > - masterkey-signed portage snapshots
22 > - unsigned (and so, insecure) rsync mirrors
23 >
24 > This is obviously not satisfying.
25 Yes. It also gives us ~100 single points of attacks as every compromised rsync mirror could go undetected for a long time.
26
27 > It has taken years to try to get per-developer signing implemented,
28 > without success. We should try to do masterkey signing ("simple" method)
29 > and see if we go somewhere. It's is so much better than nothing.
30 There is no authority that "forces" signing.
31 Making signing mandatory should not cause big problems now ...
32
33 > So I would rather work on ensuring everything in portage gets properly
34 > signed rather than designing key policies, cross-signing strategies and
35 > ways to force developers to sign properly. Given the current state of
36 > Gentoo it is a much more reachable goal.
37 "properly signed" implies some standard or policy to measure it against.
38
39 So we need to have some agreement what is needed to assure "properly
40 signed everything" - it looks like the centralized masterkey model will
41 have the smallest impact on all involved. Then we look at all issues
42 this model has, try to fix all bugs - then we have a plan to implement,
43 and I hope that this will happen in a reasonable timeframe.
44
45 Patrick
46 --
47 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move