From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dropping ia64/ppc/sparc profiles to dev/exp
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 19:24:28
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 08.05.2017 kell 22:08, kirjutas Mikle Kolyada:
2 >
3 > 08.05.2017 21:55, Andreas K. Huettel пишет:
4 > > Am Montag, 8. Mai 2017, 12:49:32 CEST schrieb Mikle Kolyada:
5 > > > Against. Do not touch things you are not working on, council has
6 > > > already
7 > > > dropped m68k s390 and sh to exp few years ago. Now we have a big
8 > > > mess
9 > > > there and only, while ia64 sparc and co have slow but progress
10 > > > and
11 > > > mature enough stable profiles.
12 > >
13 > > No objections against having many arches, but:
14 > >
15 > > If an arch is keyworded / stable on more packages than that team
16 > > can
17 > > reasonably take care of, that needs to be corrected somehow.
18 > >
19 > > The easiest solution is for the arch team to remove keywords until
20 > > they have a
21 > > reasonable response time again. And if the arch team doesn't do
22 > > that by
23 > > itself, well, ...
24 > >
25 > > Having one-man teams block everybody else hurts Gentoo as a whole.
28 > We have appropriate hardware if people wanna do the work, jut go &
29 > make
30 > things better :), I do not think someone from existing arch teams has
31 > something against that
32
33 We do not want to do the work, as the benefit ratio is bordering zero.
34 IA64 is dead hardware. PPC is dead (ppc != ppc64). SPARC, well, I guess
35 Fujitsu is trying, maybe they should provide a modern dev machine :D
36
37 Lets have the time of those just keeping it alive by semi-automated
38 scripted STABLEREQ fulfilling spend that time on alive hardware
39 instead.
40
41 Meanwhile I have various stuff sticking around due to lack of handling
42 keyword requests, including stuff that really needs cleaning up to
43 finish things being really fixed.
44 I actually see one person who seems to care about IA64 a but, but looks
45 like no-one is actioning arch testing anymore.