From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Disturbing state of arch testing in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 15:13:23
1 On Mon, Nov 07, 2022 at 08:26:15AM +0200, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 7.11.2022 8.07, Oskari Pirhonen wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 11:37:24 +0100, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
4 > >> I would be in favour of stepping up the social contract and actually
5 > >> prohibiting this kind of things, we had that before too, the nattka you
6 > >> mgorny wrote is replacement for old bugzilla bot that was ...
7 > >> closedsource and perished, though nattka now have way more features than
8 > >> the old thing ever had.
9 > >
10 > > As a user, I think it would be really cool if there was a requirement
11 > > that all infra and infra-adjacent stuff was free software.
12 > >
13 > > I feel like I've read that Debian already has something like this. While
14 > > doing some quick searches I didn't find a full-on requirement, but all
15 > > their infra bits I did find were powered by free software. The most
16 > > relevant ones being buildd [1] and debci [2]. Additionally, the debci
17 > > docs has inctructions on reproducing tests yourself [3] which is a nice
18 > > extra IMO.
19 > >
20 > > [1] https://buildd.debian.org
21 > > [2] https://ci.debian.net
22 > > [3] https://ci.debian.net/doc/file.MAINTAINERS.html
23 > >
24 > > - Oskari
25 >
26 > I _believe_ ago's tinderbox isn't being paid by the GF _anymore_ due to
27 > this reason, but he keeps it running with his own expenses. I don't mind
28 > this as long as the results are desirable and not phony. I still see a
29 > lot of value in most of ago's work.
30
31 He's not using infra's AWS resources anymore, but he's still using the
32 devbox.amd64.dev.gentoo.org VM.
33
34 > It is unfortunate we don't get to see the engine behind and copy it,
35 > since I'd be really interested in using his automated bug search /
36 > report tool. Even tattoo (https://github.com/arthurzam/tattoo) lacks
37 > that at the moment.
38 >
39 > -- juippis