From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-server 1.0.99/1.1 ABI break
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:07:29
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Simon Stelling wrote:
3 >
4 >>Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>We are working to ensure the dependencies work as smoothly as possible,
7 >>>but I expect there will be some issues since it's difficult to require
8 >>>updates to all these optional drivers following an update to the server.
9 >>
10 >>wouldn't !< atoms solve that problem?
13 > The drivers cannot be upgraded until a newer server is installed. So
14 > technically, this would allow things to work by forcing people to
15 > unmerge all their drivers before upgrading, then remerge the new
16 > versions. That's not a very desirable solution either, but do you think
17 > it's the best one?
18 >
19 > Thanks,
20 > Donnie
23 Well the semantics of the blocker is that the new driver won't work with
24 the old server; is that true? Or just the old drivers won't work with
25 the new server?
26
27 I dislike using blocks to push users to fix issues; instead using guides
28 and such. But this is one of those things; how do you inform a bunch of
29 people, many who don't understand what an ABI is, to upgrade their
30 system in the proper order without them getting all pissed off at you
31 for lack of guidance ;)
32
33 My experience is limited only to #gentoo and the forums, but upgrade
34 snags of that sort generally hit both of those areas rather quickly,
35 making them easier to find. Of course this screams changelogs/news GLEP
36 material as well ;)
37
38 -Alec
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list