From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] zoom concerns
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 06:24:05
1 On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 23:55:07 +0100
2 Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > This is the kind of useful information that we could collect from the
5 > QA, extending the greatness of the best distro ever made. The
6 > availability of software from a distro is better than installing it
7 > standalone, allowing to share knowledge about relevant information such
8 > as security, maintenance, ...
9
10 Indeed.
11
12 I've long wanted some sort of capacity for:
13
14 - Portage to be capable of correlating packages and their versions
15 with known bugs that affect those versions
16
17 - Portage to be capable of correlating packages and relative CVE's.
18
19 Presently all we end up doing is:
20
21 - Oh no, it has a bug, remove it!
22 - Or in more careful conditions, P.Mask it with reasons
23
24 The best tool we have to solve even part of this problem is glsa-check,
25 but its not mainstream enough.
26
27 So we simply don't have the /tools/ required for general users to make
28 decisions about "should I upgrade?", "should I remove this?" beyond
29 "oh, its gone", or "oh, its package masked"
30
31 But utlimately, this is not a technology problem: Its a staffing problem.
32
33 We simply don't have the power to keep old things or vulnerable things
34 around for people to use "if they're clever"
35
36 ( And every additional version aggregates to exponential complexity
37 creating more places for portage to get confused )
38
39 For top level binary things like zoom, its easier due to nothing
40 depending on it.
41
42 But handling such things for vulnerable or buggy dependencies, things
43 get tricky quickly.