From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:06:38
1 On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:50:16 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >> > In other words, pkg-config is only used when no other criteria
5 >> > allows it to classify the particular .la file as suitable for
6 >> > removal or not. Sadly, it's rather, ehm, unfriendly to ebuild
7 >> > developers who obviously don't even read the relevant part.
8 >> >
9 >> > Do you have any ideas how we can improve that?
10 >>
11 >> before the func executes pkg-config, run `has virtual/pkgconfig
12 >> ${DEPEND}` and spit an eqawarn if it's not found
13 >
14 > Ciaran will shot at me for doing that.
15
16 it isn't violating anything and can find real bugs. i don't see a problem here.
17
18 >> > One thing that comes into my mind is finally making pkgconfig
19 >> > a required, implicit part of toolchain (or @system). Since we have
20 >> > pkgconf now, this is more feasible than before.
21 >>
22 >> i don't think making it part of the toolchain makes sense. i'd rather
23 >> not add it to @system simply to keep a few packages from sometimes
24 >> failing.
25 >
26 > I'd add it to @system because a lot of packages actually need to DEPEND
27 > on pkgconfig because they use libraries using .pc files. And the number
28 > is going to increase, hopefully.
29
30 sure, but keeping things in @system doesn't make much sense:
31 - there's a penalty (as noted in old threads)
32 - it isn't actually required at runtime, so it's bloat on reduced systems
33
34 > Also, some people are probably going to try to get some pkgconf support
35 > directly into gcc, in form of '-something libfoo' to make it grab
36 > everything magically, I think.
37
38 if gcc itself runs `pkg-config` to look up libraries from other
39 packages, then we can add it to DEPEND, but if that's not currently
40 the case, the dependency doesn't make sense.
41 -mike