From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:02:18
1 On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:50:16 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > In other words, pkg-config is only used when no other criteria
6 > > allows it to classify the particular .la file as suitable for
7 > > removal or not. Sadly, it's rather, ehm, unfriendly to ebuild
8 > > developers who obviously don't even read the relevant part.
9 > >
10 > > Do you have any ideas how we can improve that?
11 >
12 > before the func executes pkg-config, run `has virtual/pkgconfig
13 > ${DEPEND}` and spit an eqawarn if it's not found
14
15 Ciaran will shot at me for doing that.
16
17 > > One thing that comes into my mind is finally making pkgconfig
18 > > a required, implicit part of toolchain (or @system). Since we have
19 > > pkgconf now, this is more feasible than before.
20 >
21 > i don't think making it part of the toolchain makes sense. i'd rather
22 > not add it to @system simply to keep a few packages from sometimes
23 > failing.
24
25 I'd add it to @system because a lot of packages actually need to DEPEND
26 on pkgconfig because they use libraries using .pc files. And the number
27 is going to increase, hopefully.
28
29 Also, some people are probably going to try to get some pkgconf support
30 directly into gcc, in form of '-something libfoo' to make it grab
31 everything magically, I think.
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny