From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 21:51:39
1 On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > In other words, pkg-config is only used when no other criteria allows
3 > it to classify the particular .la file as suitable for removal or not.
4 > Sadly, it's rather, ehm, unfriendly to ebuild developers who obviously
5 > don't even read the relevant part.
6 >
7 > Do you have any ideas how we can improve that?
8
9 before the func executes pkg-config, run `has virtual/pkgconfig
10 ${DEPEND}` and spit an eqawarn if it's not found
11
12 > One thing that comes into my mind is finally making pkgconfig
13 > a required, implicit part of toolchain (or @system). Since we have
14 > pkgconf now, this is more feasible than before.
15
16 i don't think making it part of the toolchain makes sense. i'd rather
17 not add it to @system simply to keep a few packages from sometimes
18 failing.
19 -mike